Wednesday, November 24, 2010

General Essay Rubric

This is a general writing rubric (marking scale).  Consider these things when you write your essay:
                                                                   

Content

I'm not there yet 
Readers are not sure about my meaning; I have included few details related to my topic.

 I'm getting there
Most of my writing is understandable; I could have included additional details.
 I'm there now
My writing is consistently clear and understandable; I have included adequate details.



Organization

I'm not there yet
My writing is disorganized; I use no or few transitions.


I'm getting there
My writing is arranged logically, but I could improve the structure; I use some transitions among the sections of my writing but more transitions would improve the flow of my writing.



I'm there now
My writing has a logical structure that makes it easy for the readers to follow; I have included adequate and effective transitions among the sections of my writing.


Vocabulary


I'm not there yet
My words are inaccurate, misused or unclear.


I'm getting there
My words are sometimes appropriate, effective and purposefully selected.


I'm there now
My words are consistently appropriate, effective, and purposefully selected.


Voice


I'm not there yet.
I show little or no originality in the details I have included; I show no originality in comparisons; I use no quotes to support my thesis.


I'm getting there
I have included a few original details; I have included one comparison that is original and effective; I have included only one or two quotes and they are only marginally effective in supporting my thesis.


I'm there now
I have included several striking details that other writers might have overlooked; I have included more than one original comparison; I have included several quotes that are well integrated and support my thesis.




Sentence Structure


I'm not there yet
I seldom vary the length and structure of my sentences; I seldom write complete sentences.


I'm getting there
I demonstrate some variety in the length and structure of my sentences; most of my sentences are complete.


I'm there now
I frequently vary the length and structure of my sentences; all of my sentences are complete.


Conventions


I'm not there yet
I make frequent errors in spelling, punctuation, and in usage that will confuse my reader.


I'm getting there
I make some errors in spelling, punctuation, and usage.


I'm there now
I make almost no errors in spelling, punctuation, and usage.


Thesis


I'm not there yet
I have no thesis statement or my thesis statement is fact rather than opinion;  I have not made a case to prove anything.


I'm getting there
I have a thesis statement but it is either too broad or too narrow to effectively defend; I have made an effort to prove my thesis statement but have not effectively done so.


I'm there now
My thesis statement is clear and defendable; I have proven my thesis statement effectively.


Bibliography


I'm not there yet
I have no bibliography or I have only a brief list of titles.


I'm getting there
I have a bibliography and I have made an attempt to follow the assigned format (APA or MLA); I do not have the required number of resources or a range of resources (print, electronic, etc.).


I'm there now
I have a complete bibliography with a full range of resources; I have properly followed the assigned format.

                                                                   
                                                                            

No comments:

Post a Comment